Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I'm Reminded Why I'm Happy I Have A Vagina.

So this past week was full of great feminine centered events and considering its Women's History Month thats not much of a surprise, but still I was reminded last week of how happy I am to be a girl!

So first I took part in my University's production of the Vagina Monologues! It was a 25 girl production, and our theme was Women Around the World, so we all dressed up in different kinds of traditional wear from a range of varying countries. My monologue was A Vagina Happy Fact.

Here is our selfie! 
A wonderful group of women to work with!

But what I must share is the reaction I've gotten from people when they found out I did the show. Most people were shocked. Let me explain, most people place this virginal, pure, clean cut, prude label on me. And honestly, it isn't far from the truth, I'm aware that I lack "experience."But I am in no way a prude, in fact I believe everyone should have a healthy sex life. And I am a feminist which is why I didn't understand why people were so shocked at my involvement, but I guess it doesn't fit into that box people place me in. 

In reflection, I was so excited to be back on stage for such a great message. Each show I got better and better. And it was so much fun! I got to step out of my comfort zone, I even moaned on stage at one point. It was a blessing to hear what each girl had to say during our talk back sessions. They shared so passionately their experiences. It was beautiful. I'm so glad I decided to audition! 

*********************************************************

Later in the week, my campus chapter of Her Campus had our first birthday party! We invited Windsor, co-founder of HerCampus.com to come speak. And it was a great night. For those of you unfamiliar with Her Campus it is the number one community for girls on and offline. It is primarily a website composed of articles directed towards college aged women. I've been reading articles since I was in high school. Different colleges across the country have chapters and I am involved in my university's chapter!

Windsor's speech was fabulous! She shared some great insight on how to be your own boss, and run your own business successfully. 
And we won awards!


My college experience has been so enriched by working with great women!
 And I am so happy I have to opportunity to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment