Friday, July 20, 2012

National History Day & Washington D.C.

NHD 2012
University of Maryland

National History Day is a national competition where students all over the country compete by entering history projects. This competition is extremely intense. Students first compete at a regional level, those who place move on to state level, and finally there is the national competition that takes place in June every year. Because of my involvement in National History Day, I was able to spend a week at the University of Maryland.

Inside the Capitol Building, the dome!

A better look at the artwork on the ceiling.
Our first president is depicted here with 13 women all depicting the 13 original colonies!


 

This was my favorite room in the Capitol Building.
It was the room where congress was originally held.
Best part about it? It was pink!


The Capitol Building
The Washington Monument

The Lincoln Memorial
Hello first family!
The White House
 (Honestly, my idea from pictures and movies was way off!)


My friends Thalia and Anthony who I worked on my project and spent my week with. 

From June 10th through June 14th, we stayed in a dorm room at the university. I shared a room with my best friend Thalia. We ate, swam, slept, hung out, and of course cheered on our school's national competitors, and ultimately our state!

We spent two days in Washington D.C. thanks to our very passionate teacher Ms. Brown! Our first day we visited our congressman's office, toured the Capitol Building with one of his (admittedly, very cute) interns, and take in all the land marks and monuments.

Later in the week, we spent a day exclusively on museum hopping! Museums we visited included the African Art Museum, the Air and Space Museum, the American History Museum, and the Holocaust Musuem.


Planes and Spaceships at the Air and Space Museum!



The American History Museum was reserved for a night especially for NHD students.
There were special performances throughout the building, a special exhibition, and even a discount at the gift shop.
It was a lovely night.

What I can say about the Holocaust Museum is that it truly is a remarkable and educational place.

NHD was a great way to meet people from all over the country and US territories.
A giant button trading system they have set up is a great way to break the ice and talk to new people.
I met people from Louisiana, Idaho, Shanghai, the list goes on...

It was a great week, and I had wanted to go to DC for a while now!


Nothing wrong with embracing educational adventures! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment